Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Try my Brest

What: Paris-Brest
Where: Paul Lafayet, K11, TST
Cost: $30-40?
Yumminess: ***/*****

Around a week before trying this, I've had the so-called Paris Brest from coco frans at the TST MTR station. I know what they sell is nothing like the real Paris-Brest, but it was satisfying nevertheless (like a giant cream puff with more custard to choux pastry ratio than normal). A week later, I bought a Paris-Brest from Paul Lafayet. The pastry was quite hefty, which was evidence of the density of the hazelnut buttercream which filled up the centre of the 2-ring-sandwich. Its diameter was around the same as the coco frans Paris Brest (4-5 inches-ish), but their satisfaction level was worlds apart. After finishing the one from coco frans, I was left wanting more (or just satisfied...my sweet tooth is insatiable lol). On the other hand, only HALF of this one from Paul Lafayet was starting to feel enough. For someone with an insatiable sweet tooth...that's amazing (for your reference, I can finish an entire 6" cake on my own). 


Look at how thick the buttercream is!! In fact, I ate this with a FORK. No spoon needed. There was some point when I just ate the buttercream alone, without the pastry, with a FORK. It was that thick. As should be the case, the buttercream had an oily mouthfeel, especially towards the end as it started to get melty. And as it was hazelnut flavoured, it kind of tasted like the stuff in Kinder Buenos, except much much thicker, way more nutty, and way less sweet (although still very sweet). 

I was amazed that I managed to finish the whole thing in one sitting. Needless to say, I skipped dinner that night.

My next target was Saveur de France's Paris-Brest...but I heard they closed down. :( What a shame, as it was the only place I knew which sold authentic homey French pastries (like tarte au flan!).

4 comments:

  1. looks satisfying indeed and wow, you can finish 6" cake by yourself? seriously? hehehe bravo girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouuu, the paris-brest sounded very nice from reading your review, especially knowing that the buttercream tasted like bruenos! The brest seemed very rich tho, no wonder you would skip dinner after having the whole one! I love your title btw, made me laugh lol!

    For the kiwi pocket, where did you get them? From Okashiland too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaah sorry I have to leave another msg! After seeing your funny picture in your profile page, I couldnt stop laughing lol! you finish your 3rd yr yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Tarte au Flan so much.
    Its like a big piece of egg custard !

    Hope someone would make it in HK 1 day :D

    *Side Story - I pronounced it as 'flen' 1 day in Paris, as would any English speaker. I never knew its actually pronounced as 'flarnnnnn'. :P

    ReplyDelete